one step forward two steps back

The place to talk about Stella4D, Great Stella, and Small Stella. Feel free to ask questions about them here.
robint

one step forward two steps back

Post by robint » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:48 am

Hi

Ive managed by circuitous means to import a dxf model from SU thru to .off and into GS. I can even start the model (a unit cube) in full screen , grounded? and vert edge on in ortho view. I can show the axes of symmetry correctly

BUT the slightest job with my mouse and my orientation is lost and I canot return to base view, other than reloading. Ctrl Z dumps the model and reverts to default icosa model

I managed to add my cube into a dodecahedron with mixed success see pic
Compound with Dodeca.jpg
Compound with Dodeca.jpg (48.6 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
I feel like Im standing on the sea shore and I toss a geosolid into the ocean and thats the end of the connection. My xyz world doesnt seem relevant to ocean space nor recognised

I have managed to export my compound model back into SU via dxf, but getting it oriented accurately back to origin x,y,z is a pig

I can see my getting stuck here, other than creating simple geo solids that would be v difficult constructing in 3D CAD approximation

How do you make 3mm thick tiles for a church steeple shape (folded paper is easy) - think of those crazy mitres OMG

robertw
Site Admin

Re: one step forward two steps back

Post by robertw » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:02 am

I replied to your other post re orientation when exporting. For orientation within Stella, just use the View->Orientation menu:

"Default Orientation" will get you back, or you can explicitly look down any relevant symmetry axis, or look at/sit on specific faces/edges/vertices.

See also the "View->Camera" menu, where you can save the camera position for later retrieval in case you lose it.