dividing net pieces

The place to talk about Stella4D, Great Stella, and Small Stella. Feel free to ask questions about them here.
Robin Adair

dividing net pieces

Post by Robin Adair » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:54 pm

I'm interested in building a "Crossed Heptagrammic Cupoliac Blend, Symbol: Q+ 7/5.
Some of the pieces are quite tiny! I've selected Color per face, giving 29 different colors. I've enlarged the scale to allow the maximum size which the net pieces will fit on a sheet 8"x11-1/2" (shortest edge, approx 1/3"), other than the "base". All well and good except for the "base" of the model, which is a 14 point star of approximately 16" diameter. Of course, this is unprintable. How do i subdivide this piece into printable shapes?

robertw
Site Admin

Re: dividing net pieces

Post by robertw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:04 am

Personally I normally wouldn't, because you'd end up with the base split in two, maybe the two parts connected with tabs somehow. Maybe if that remains underneath then it doesn't matter too much.

But you could play with faceting mode, maybe combined with the stellation view to give access to more vertices, to split it into smaller pieces. You could experiment with a simpler polyhedron that has the same part, just to get this piece, eg the prism 14/10.4.4

If it almost fits, you could try setting the print margins negative. It will let you do that, and the piece may spill off the edge of the paper. You could possibly print out 2 or 3 like that and combine them to form a whole.