Internal Parts

The place to talk about Stella4D, Great Stella, and Small Stella. Feel free to ask questions about them here.
hecatonicosachoron

Internal Parts

Post by hecatonicosachoron » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:20 pm

I apologize if this question as been answered before, but I am curious how you make the internal parts seen here: https://www.software3d.com/5Cube.php

Or to pick a simpler example: let's say I am making a small stellated dodecahedron and I want a pentagonal base to support the pyramids. It is easy enough to calculate the size of the pentagons I need in that case, but is there a way to do it in the program that I can go on to use in more complicated models? It is a kind of faceting, but not one that connects the true vertices of the polyhedron, just intersections of the edges or corners of the nets.

Ulrich

Re: Internal Parts

Post by Ulrich » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:20 am

If you select the stellation view in the view toolbar, you can step through the stellations by hitting the up/down keys and you get all internal parts you like.
Ulrich

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:25 am

Ulrich, your answer won't be able to create the internal parts I used, because they have other planes, planes through the centre of the compound.

I'd go to a stellation view and put the model in a memory slot. Then open a dodecahedron, scale it down, and add it to the memory slot.

This will put a smaller dodecahedron inside, and you can use faceting mode to create a model that has those faces, or just create that one facet and have a look through the nets to find it.

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:31 pm

Ah, trickier than I thought! :)