Miter Vs Bevel

The place to talk about Stella4D, Great Stella, and Small Stella. Feel free to ask questions about them here.
Larry

Miter Vs Bevel

Post by Larry » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:28 pm

In response to your posting Mr. Webb, yes I would like to see "Mitre" changed to "Bevel". The following is in respose to the posting by os2fan2.

As with some dictionary definitions the terminology is so broad the meaning is lost. Like I mentioned in my last posting, “I’m not a mathematician but I am a carpenter,” so let me try to clarify the difference between miter and bevel from my perspective.

Miter --- If you want to joint two pieces of wood to form a 90 degree angle with the faces of both pieces on the same plane, then the miter is 45 degrees. Cutting 45 degrees on both pieces (2x45=90) forms a 90 degree angle. When cutting a simple miter the edge is always 90 degrees to the face.

Bevel --- The angle cut on the edge of a piece of wood (or anything else) in reference to the face. This angle is always less than 90 degrees. When two pieces of wood have been beveled and joined, their faces are no longer on the same plane. In carpentry a compound miter is a combination of the miter and bevel.

If I were to cut an octagon I would use a miter angle of 45°. The interior face angle of an octagon is 135° but I am cutting away the exterior. Referencing one edge, the adjoining edge is 45° (45x8=360).

Larry