Isohedra with non-convex faces

For general discussion of polyhedra, not necessarily Stella-specific.
oxenholme

Post by oxenholme » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:29 pm

It is interesting (at least I think it's interesting!!!!) to compare the stellation of the pentagonal icositetrahedron on the left with the isohedron on the right.

The one on the left is a sort of special case of the one on the right, whereby the reflex angled point of the non-convex pentagon is situated on the opposite edge.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:34 pm

oxenholme wrote:The one on the left has octahedral symmetry. The one on the right has cubic symmetry
Nice. I should point out though that the octahedron and cube have the same symmetries, but I know what you mean :)

Rob.

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:32 am

oxenholme wrote:I finished the final Isohedron today...

The one on the left has octahedral symmetry. The one on the right has cubic symmetry
A very polished result ! I've been experimenting with different types of card recently, so my final output has been pitiful. I struggled to produce a great stellated dodecahedron using metallic card and almost binned it more than once. However, the final result was very neat (for me). My first mistake was to use UHU, which ate the coating. Single tabs were necessary as the card is quite thick and tough. It takes a lot of determination to get a good result, doesn’t it ? Well done!
Pete K

oxenholme

Post by oxenholme » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Three pictures of a sort of Isohedron where the 5th vertex of the pentagon is on the opposing edge. It's a stellation of the regular dodecahedron.

marcelteun

Post by marcelteun » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Haven't been around for a while and look so many posts. And I thought that I would receive mail. I guess I have to check my settings.

Anyway. Just wanted to say 1 thing here.
I share your love for chiral models! Besides the fact that they are usually more challenging to build, I think they are intriguing.