Miller's Monster

For general discussion of polyhedra, not necessarily Stella-specific.
oxenholme

Miller's Monster

Post by oxenholme » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:57 pm

I made it out of white cartridge paper back in the 60s.

I'm thinking of making it again, but this time in colour. Presumably six colours for the coplanar pairs of pentagrams, ten colours for the coplanar pairs of triangles, but how many colours will I need for the coplanar pairs of squares?

guy

Post by guy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:36 pm

According to Wenninger, there are 30 pairs of squares. They are diametral or "hemi" faces, so there is no parallel pair. To colour each pair differently would need 30 colours.

That makes 6+10+30=46 colours in all. Ouch!

Wenninger describes a simpler colour scheme. He uses a simplified set of 5 colours for the icosahedral (triangular) faces, based on the observation that the 20 face planes are those of 5 tetrahedra: one colour for each tetrahedron. He also uses a single colour for all squares. This gives 6+5+1=12 colours which is a bit more practical.

Although the pentagons cannot be divided into equal subgroups in the way that the triangles can, I am not sure about the squares. I suspect that they might be divisible in various ways, depending on your preference. One way to find out would be to study the Archimedean duals having 60 faces, pick (the?) one with equivalent face planes, and look for sub-symmetries there.

022ahnoor

Post by 022ahnoor » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:03 am

. Presumably six colours for the coplanar pairs of pentagrams, ten colours for the coplanar pairs of triangles
NOOR

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:18 am

With Stella, how can you set up the colour arrangement described by Guy ?

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:08 pm

I tried it in the following way:

Take the compound of 5 tetrahedra and put it into memory 1. Then take Millers Monster, select a pentagram (they all should be red in the auto colour option), you hit c and you slightly shift the red colour a bit lighter or darker to avoid colour conflicts in the following steps. You set the radius of the model to the same like that of the compound in memory 1. Select a triangle and hit shift-h to hide all of them, and you do the same with the coplanar one. Then hit shift-ctrl-t to toggle between shown and hidden faces. Now you see all triangles only. You reduce the symmetry to tetrahedral and you add the model from memory 1. If you select a triangle of a tetrahedron now and you look at that face (view->orientation->look at selected face), you see two coplanar triangles parallel above the selected face. You give them the colour of the selected one, using ctrl-c. You repeat this with all faces of the 5 tetrahedra compound, then you delete the tetrahedra one by one. Now you see an arrangement of 5 groups of 4 pairs of coplanar triangles, each group in tetrahedral orientation. (You best save it now in a memory, so that you can retrieve it, when needed.)
You hit shift-ctrl-h to show all faces, select a pentagram, hit h to hide all of them and shift-ctrl-t to toggle between shown and hidden faces. You see twelve pairs of coplanar pentagrams in a dodecahedral arrangement. You colour them like 6 groups of parallel faces, using ctrl-c.
After showing all faces again, you select a square and give all of them the same colour using shift-c.
Al colours can easily be modified afterwards.

Ulrich
Last edited by Ulrich on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:14 am

Many thanks Ulrich, I'll give it a try.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:42 pm

There's a much easier way. Stella already has various colour arrangements built in. From the menu, select these:
  • Color->Basic Color Scheme->Auto Color (probably already set).
  • Color->Special Color Arrangements->Dodecahedral Arrangement 2 (6 colors)
  • Color->Special Color Arrangements->Icosahedral Arrangement 1 (5 colors)

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:51 am

much easier indeed, cool!

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:21 am

Thanks Rob. I did try that, but I must have screwed it up. I just tried it now and it appears to work.

Pete K

elijahmay

Re: Miller's Monster

Post by elijahmay » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:49 pm

I need help to know what to fold. I am having trouble with Miller's Monster. I have checked the website but I still don't know how to fold some nets on the polyhedron.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:52 am

My first suggestion is start simple. If you haven't made many simpler polyhedra first, I'd start there. This one's a huge project to start with.

Once you've done other simpler ones, you'll probably have a better idea how to make this one.

But otherwise, I would need more details to know how to help you with this. When you say "what to fold", I don't know which stage you're really having trouble with. You posted an image, so I'm guessing that's one of the nets causing an issue? Where have you got up to so far? Eg:
  • Printed nets and cut out? Be sure to score the edges before cutting out the nets too
  • After after cutting, crease the scored lines before gluing them together. You can check in Stella to see whether to use a mountain or valley fold for each edge
  • Also see Stella to figure out which tabs should glue to which tabs. You may also want to use "Nets->Show Edge Data->Edge Connection IDs" which will show IDs on the tabs which you can match up to know what glues to what.

elijahmay

Post by elijahmay » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:13 pm

Thank you. I have printed all the nets and folded the stars. I am having trouble with the bottom section of the picture where it shows the earlier stage. I just don't know how to get from the net out of the printer to the earlier piece on that picture. I also am having trouble with how to get to the foldable nets on great Stella and not the single nets it shows me. Thank you so much!

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:58 am

Did you click on it for the larger image? May still not be clear, but there's a small red triangle on each side connecting the orange parts together.

elijahmay

Post by elijahmay » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:08 pm

would Stella help me with how to get to that stage with the red triangles?

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:16 pm

Stella would print all the parts out, including the red triangles, but it can't tell you what order to put things together. You can use "Nets->Show Edge Data->Edge Connection IDs" to print IDs on tabs that you can match up though.

Or just look for the triangles with matching edge lengths to connect those orange parts.