Do you ever make polyhedra for other people?

For general discussion of polyhedra, not necessarily Stella-specific.
oxenholme

Post by oxenholme » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:51 pm

Nicola at work had never previously encountered polyhedra. I doodled a line drawing of the small stellated dodecahedron and she was fascinated, quickly asking me to make a model for her.

I find it a tad tricky to get the small stellated dodecahedron perfect, so for the time being I made a great dodecahedron for her. I'll try a small stellated dodecahedron later.

guy

Post by guy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:41 pm

I once gave away a great stellated dodecahedron - once I pointed out the pentagonal star faces, my neighbour was fascinated by it.

marcelteun

Post by marcelteun » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Actually I give quite many nowadays. It is difficult sometimes, but what if I have everything at home and a fire breaks out?...
On the other hand I do miss some of them as well. Here is one example: http://tunnissen.eu/polyh/Cubes30.html

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Teun,

I love that compound of 30 cubes. I'd even be prepared to get married again if you'd give me one as a wedding present (please don't tell my wife though) :). Is this something that I could derive a net for using Stella ?

Tia,
Pete K

marcelteun

Post by marcelteun » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:29 pm

:D I don't think I will build this one again, except perhaps to keep a version for myself anyway... :wink:
In this thread:
http://software3d.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=242#242
There is a link to a zip file containing all compounds.
This one should be included as 30A.A5xI.C2xI.mu7.off

For a compound of 30 cubes this one is surprisingly easy to build (to not in this size I did it)

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:18 pm

marcelteun wrote::D I don't think I will build this one again, except perhaps to keep a version for myself anyway... :wink:
In this thread:
http://software3d.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=242#242
There is a link to a zip file containing all compounds.
This one should be included as 30A.A5xI.C2xI.mu7.off

For a compound of 30 cubes this one is surprisingly easy to build (to not in this size I did it)
Teun,

Thanks very much.

Pete K

JonFS

Post by JonFS » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:13 pm

At first my reluctance to give people models I've made stemmed from the fact that I thought people wouldn't really enjoy them because they thought polyhedra were too "geeky". However, over time, I've learned that most people actually find them kinda interesting.
I have given some models as gifts, but I have to admit that I usually take so long finishing a models that I find it hard to give them up. But I've found that the more I do it the easier it becomes.

A friend commissioned me to make a lamp for him to give as a wedding present.

Then I made another to give as a gift.

First, I made a model out of cardboard. I cut metal rods that I taped to the edges. After I had soldered the rods together I removed the cardboard. To the wire skeleton I attached paper. I designed it so that one of the "spikes" could be removed to change the light bulb inside.

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:56 am

Jon,

They are great-looking models. Obviously, you have some artistic flair.

For me, its not so much the time that it takes that makes me reluctant to give them away, its the prospect of having to start all over again to replace the gift. Or maybe Im just mean!

Pete K