I click through the polyhedron

The place to discuss MineSweeper3D.
damangio

I click through the polyhedron

Post by damangio » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm a big fan of Minesweeper3D. I recently started playing it again after a long break and encountered a problem I'd never had before. Sometimes instead of affecting the tile I click on, my clicks travel through the polyhedron and hit a tile on the opposite side, or on another part of a nonconvex or toroidal board. This can happen with all three types of clicks and is more frequent on nonconvex or toroidal boards. Needless to say, this can have disastrous consequences and is quite frustrating. It doesn't happen if the intended tile is facing me straight-on. I can keep from left-clicking through the board by holding my mouse button down to see if the intended tile is highlighted before I release, but I still have a lot problems from mistakenly and unknowningly marking mines on the other side of the board that mess me up later on.

I run Windows 7 32-bit, as I used to before having this problem. Any ideas why this might by happening?

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:44 am

Hi, I haven't heard of that happening before, but I have an idea what might cause it. I'll look into it when I get a chance and hopefully be able to fix it.

Thanks,
Rob.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:14 pm

You might want to make sure you've got the latest OpenGL drivers for your graphics card too. It seems odd to me that this error could happen in MineSweeper3D. Your system must have a very limited OpenGL pick buffer.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:28 pm

I just put up a new version of MineSweeper3D, version 2.7. I'm hoping it fixes your problem (although I can't reproduce it). Please let me know either way.

Thanks,
Rob.

damangio

Post by damangio » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Hmmm...nope, it didn't fix the problem. I'm not sure how to check for OpenGL drivers. Windows Device Manager confirms that everything listed under "Display Adapters" is up to date. The Intel website agrees.

Yes, my computer is very limited in the way of graphics. It's an HP "business notebook" with very limited graphics hardware. I wouldn't be surprised to be having these problems...except that Minesweeper3D used to work fine on it.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Damn, I really thought that would fix it!

You don't need to look for OpenGL drivers as such, just look for the latest graphics card drivers (aka video card drivers) for your machine. That should include OpenGL.

I guess all I can do for now is put it down to something weird about your machine. I haven't heard this one before. Will keep it in the back of my mind though.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
Rob.

Bbaass_TMH

Post by Bbaass_TMH » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:55 am

I am having this problem aswell.
Here's a short video showing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjbkFV4g8-E
In XSplit (livestreaming/recording software) the cursor turns black whenever any mouse button is pressed.

I am running MineSweeper3D version 2.8.1 on a Windows 8.1 64bit laptop.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:15 am

I still can't reproduce it here.

Is your laptop also an HP with limited graphics?

Do you still get the problem on smaller boards or at lower subdivision levels? I'm guessing it reaches a point where the graphics card can't handle that many faces, but even then I have code in there to work around that, so I don't know what's going on.

Thanks,
Rob.

Bbaass_TMH

Post by Bbaass_TMH » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:32 pm

It's an Asus.
Intel i7
Nvidia GeForce 940M 2GB

I bought it about 5 months ago cause my previous laptop died.

Bbaass_TMH

Post by Bbaass_TMH » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:16 pm

I think it is more likely to happen if I click on tiles that are on the "edge" of the board.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Bbaass_TMH wrote:I think it is more likely to happen if I click on tiles that are on the "edge" of the board.
I'd expect that, because there's more geometry lined up behind each other. But it still shouldn't cause a problem.

Sounds like your laptop is probably pretty different from the other guy's too.

Would you be interested in helping me track this down? I can't do anything if I can't reproduce it. Could I send you a diagnostic build? This will produce a diagnostic file for you to send back to me. May have to do this a few times to track it down, if I can at all.

Thanks,
Rob.

Bbaass_TMH

Post by Bbaass_TMH » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:48 pm

I wouldn't mind doing that, if it can help find the cause of this.
I've been trying to find out other way to trigger it, besides just spamming rightclick and moving my cursor around.
I have found a way to produce the problem with a single mouseclick everytime, here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdSGTOzj0TM

Basically, I discovered it happens when I click between the tiles or on the edges of the tiles.
But not every border between two tiles behaves like that, some do exactly what they're supposed to when I hold down leftclick and slowly move the cursor from one tile to the other.

edit
I can also click through the cube on subdivision 2, but NOT if I reload the game and don't rotate the cube. Only after I rotate it can I click on it at an angle and find a point where my cursor doesn't highlight any visible tiles, but one on the back.

I can also reproduce this on the 5 or so other boards I tried, in various subdivisions.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:34 am

Hmm, that's interesting. For me, if I hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse, there's not even one pixel between tiles where neither tile is down. I was trying to figure out from your video how wide this region was. It appears to be more than a pixel, but smaller than the whole sloped edge of the tiles. Does that sound right? You could zoom in closer, and use a smaller board with a lower subdivision to get a better idea.