New ID for each Computer

The place to discuss MineSweeper3D.
jlpilkin

New ID for each Computer

Post by jlpilkin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:58 am

For those who have to keep buying MineSweeper3D after every format, a good alternative would be to use Acronis Trueimage and back up your computer in a working configuration. Every time your computer crashes, simply restore the image.

Apparently MineSweeper gets the computer ID from a function that relies on an individual installation of Windows; every new installation will result in a new ID.

An additional license is only $7 so it's not that big of a deal to me; but I thought I'd point this out.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:40 pm

Yeah, when I wrote it I used what I thought was a function that got the hard drive serial number. But yes, apparently the number it returns changes if you reinstall Windows. Turns out to be MUCH harder to find the true hard drive serial. I have some code now to do it in most cases, but I'm unaware of any complete solution to the problem. Microsoft just make it a nearly impossible task. There are several different methods, and none work on all machines. If it fails you can resort to some other hardware identifier though.

I'm planning a revamp of MineSweeper3D sometime, so I may switch to using the true hard drive number at that point.

Rob.