Number of paid downloads

The place to discuss MineSweeper3D.
ajh4184

Number of paid downloads

Post by ajh4184 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:37 pm

I bought a copy of MineSweeper3D years ago and was curious how many people are out there playing it. Do we know about how many full version (paid) copies have been sold?

dbwoerner

Re: Number of paid downloads

Post by dbwoerner » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:13 pm

As you can guess, I don't come here often and paid for my copy many years ago. Robert would be the one to answer your question, but it may be that he doesn't have much time or interest for this wonderful game. I have been waiting patiently for new download with some more cool shapes, but it's been a number of years. I did notice there is a new speed demon who recently discovered the game and is devouring the world records board. At one time I held nine or ten, but now I'm down to four! Fortunately, I was first with a "0" on one of the trivial layouts, so I won't disappear forever B^)

It's still one of my favorite games after all these years, but I need some new shapes, hopefully with holes (hint, hint).....

Dave

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:39 am

Sorry, looks like I never answered the original question. The answer won't be very satisfying though, because the answer is that I'd rather not make sales figures public. I'll just say "not enough".

Unfortunately I'm more interested in creating these things than I am in promoting them, so I never capitalise effectively on my work.

I do wonder whether the world records actually put people off. Only a few people achieve them, so maybe most users feel inferior?

Yes it's been a few years since the last version! But I am planning to release a new one very soon. I'll try to include something with holes :)

dbwoerner

Post by dbwoerner » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Hello Robert!

Glad to hear you are still willing to add to the game. My computer is in the shop right now, so I may miss out on the chance to get another "trivial" record B^)

I totally get not being into marketing. I am the same way, though my endeavors are much less spectacular than Minesweeper 3D!

I think the world records are a plus even though most are unattainable for us mortals. I have no idea how the speedsters complete them so quickly. Maybe I haven't explored the simpler shapes because those world records are so outrageously fast, but I like the complex shapes way more and they seem to be more resistant to crazy fast times. I don't know if I would have spent so much time on the great stellated duodecahedron without the world records listing it as unsolved way back when. It has the sweet spot of being very difficult, but not impossible (like some of the insane boards seem to be B^)

BTW, will the next release still work on old windows systems? I know it has become harder to accomplish that and I will be happy to buy another license if I have to B^)
Dave

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:39 pm

New version still not released yet, as I decided to look at a few more things. And I'm going away for a couple of weeks next week, so not so soon after all. Your computer should be back from the shop by then.

If you want to see how the current guy taking over the records board does it though, he created some videos which you can see here if you scroll down a bit: https://www.software3d.com/Mines3D/videos.php Don't know how one could play that fast!

Next version is expected to work on XP and no earlier (no more 95, 98, NT, 2000), so it should still cover pretty old machines. Should work better on Window 10 too.