New Rubik's Cube-style puzzle made from paper

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
robertw
Site Admin

New Rubik's Cube-style puzzle made from paper

Post by robertw » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:05 am

Hi folks,

I just posted pictures of a Rubik's Cube-style puzzle I made from paper with help from Stella. Unfortunately it's a bit too temperamental to really use as a puzzle, but it does work if you do the twising very carefully and help parts to go where they should.

Here's the page: http://www.software3d.com/ShallowDino.php

Rob.

oxenholme

Post by oxenholme » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:14 pm

You might be interested that Martyn Cundy (co-author of Mathematical Models) showed me a "Rubik's" rhombicosidodecahedron that was made from card many years ago.

When it was first made it had worked well, but by the time I saw it it had started to come apart.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:08 pm

Interesting. I hadn't heard of it, although I think the same thing has been made in plastic now, as a modification to the megaminx puzzle.

I'd love to see pictures of it, especially the insides. I wonder how well it operated. No doubt its mechanics worked better than mine :?

Rob.

marcelteun

Re: New Rubik's Cube-style puzzle made from paper

Post by marcelteun » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:07 am

Never seen this one. That is an awesome model, Robert! Is it still in one piece?

robertw
Site Admin

Re: New Rubik's Cube-style puzzle made from paper

Post by robertw » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:04 pm

marcelteun wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:07 am
Never seen this one. That is an awesome model, Robert! Is it still in one piece?
Pieces pop out easily if you try to operate it, but it's easy enough to put them back in (hopefully the right way around!)