Wood Polyhedrons

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
SteveG

Wood Polyhedrons

Post by SteveG » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:38 pm

I came up with a good way to make polyhedrons out of wood and wanted to show them here. I have a few spheres made from hardwood, and the flat-faced models are 1/4" plywood that has been taped together and then stretch-wrapped. Sure is a lot of fun! I really like the Great Stella program.

Steve

guy

Post by guy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:12 pm

Have you tried gluing the plywood polygons together? Might need reinforcing strips behind each joint, pre-glued to one polygon like tabs on a paper model. Those would also need to be carefully profiled with the right angle.

SteveG

Post by SteveG » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:08 pm

I have not tried gluing the 1/4 inch pine plywood, but I have glued a test joint from 1/2 inch birch plywood, and it was plenty strong using original Titebond glue on the beveled edges. I think that the thinner plywood could be glued without reinforcing tabs and be reasonably strong. If tabs were needed then I would rather use thicker wood to avoid having to make a tab for each edge. I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

hamp856

Post by hamp856 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:00 pm

I make these from wood. I can send you pictures if you like. I have found using 22 ga. staples on the interior works great.

Hamp