Cube and Octahedron

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
Peter Kane

Cube and Octahedron

Post by Peter Kane » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:26 am

Just to show that I haven't been wasting my time over Christmas ;-)

I saw a computer-generated image of this cube and its dual -the octahedron- and their common mid-sphere. Incidentally, if you ever need to glue anything to expanded polystyrene I can really recommend UHU POR adhesive; its great stuff. I tried several alternatives and nothing came close.

Pete K

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Looks nice. Did you use Stella's "Display->Show Intersections with Spheres" option to draw the curves on the nets?

I actually just noticed that the curves don't appear for this model when the sphere is exactly the size of the midsphere. I've fixed that now and just released Stella 5.1 which includes this fix (along with other changes).

Rob.

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:13 am

Rob,

I used Stella to generate nets for the cube (how lazy can you get ?) and octahedron, but I used a compass to draw the curves (circular arcs).

Even after all this time, I still only use a small percentage of Stella's capabilities, but that's because I can't sepnd as much time on my hobby as I'd like. Recently, though, I've been looking at some of your tutorals and videos and those of other members; I think that's a good way to increase my knowledge. Time is the real issue. The ability to draw curves in Stella is really interesting; I think it could be very useful for a quite different model that I have been contemplating. I'll check out the update. I'm quite excited about that.

Getting back to the model, I cut out the curves of the cube using scissors; the results weren't too bad, but I was too ham-fisted with the octahedron, so I purchased a compass cutter for about £5. I was surprised at how accurate the results were. Its a great little tool.

Pete K

alieen

Post by alieen » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:19 am

I saw a computer-generated image of this cube and its dual -the octahedron- and their common mid-sphere.
Unlike scam CCIE exam dumps and Test king dumps training program, our best smith