Topological Small Stellated Dodecahedron

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
kedzior687

Topological Small Stellated Dodecahedron

Post by kedzior687 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:11 pm

I'd like to make this model:

http://www.software3d.com/HollowSSD.php

and I have alredy tried with standard nets, but it didn't work well (I gave up before gluing 5 parts together, the spike looked really ugly).

Now I'd like to try it with same nets as Mr. Robert had used above and my question is: how to create them? I mean the outside net. Unfortunately my Stella skills end at creating the correct facet, I don't know how to join it with the net.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Not sure what you mean by standard nets. You mean just the default ones that Stella came up with? You found the model OK I guess in the Stella Library?

Looking at the 3D folding view helps. You can almost fold it up to see where parts will go and so on. What you want to do here is break any connection between parts which you want to keep separate. You can use Cut/Uncut Mode for that.

Actually the way I did it was to create the 12 separate star slabs first, and for this you need an extra couple of parts in the net to close off the hole where the slabs will attach (then you can glue these flattened parts to each other). You can create one slab with Faceting Mode, but first drop to 5-fold pyramidal symmetry (or else symmetry will end up creating the whole thing again).

A simpler way to start would be to make the model with flat slabs, so the whole model would just be made of 12 parts, similar to how I did my other topological models.