Stella Designs for Planters and Other Pots

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
Rosemary Lyndall Wemm

Stella Designs for Planters and Other Pots

Post by Rosemary Lyndall Wemm » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:50 am

I am a relatively recent Stella user. I am still working out how to use the program. It does not have the world's easiest interface and the Manual is not exactly easy to read, being closer to a tech document than a User's Instruction Primer. However, after the initial frustration and trail and error period, I managed to find ways to design some really nice objects - including, but not at all restricted to, polyhedra.

I am using Great Stella primarily to design planters and garden pots. This stretches the program in ways it was not really designed to function since some of these creations, while geodesic and symmetrical, are not very round. Since I like round shaped pots I began with modifications of standard polyhedra. Then I set out to find what other shapes I could design.

I thought readers might like to see what I have managed to design after a few weeks of increasing discovery about the scope and limitations of the program.

The stream is not in time order. The sophistication and complexity of the pot is a good indication that it is recent rather than early.

{If this doesn't display an image would someone please explain how to do it correctly?}

https://www.flickr.com/gp/berrygami/102Y9Q

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:34 am

Hi Rosemary,

Looks nice! Glad you figured out how to do what you wanted. Stella is not a general purpose 3D modelling package, as you've discovered, focusing more on polyhedral operations, but with a bit of practice you can make a lot of things.

As for embedding images from Flickr, I figured it out:
  1. Open the photo on Flickr
  2. Click the share link near the bottom right side
  3. Click on the BBCode tab at the top
  4. Copy the text shown and paste into your post
  5. You can delete everything after the first [/url] or there'll be trailing text after the image
I've edited your post so that your image shows up.

ndl

Post by ndl » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:23 pm

You can make that type of stuff with SketchUp which is a free program and has a very easy to use interface.

http://www.sketchup.com