Faceting for Polychora

Suggest new features for Stella.
Jabe

Faceting for Polychora

Post by Jabe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:44 pm

One feature I would like to see is the ability to facet a polychoron - One project I would like to do is generate the vertex figures of the polytera and this feature would make it go a whole lot faster than writing OFF files for each one.

Any chance that this could be added, one way to impliment it is by selecting four vertices in the polychoron - and this generates a realm and highlights all corealmic vertices, then we can use these to do 3-D faceting on to generate a 3-D cell.
May the Fourth (dimension) be with you.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Sorry for the radio silence lately. I've been moving house and had trouble getting internet connected again!

Faceting in 4D presents some problems. In 3D, a facet is repeated over the symmetry group, but in 4D I don't know what the symmetries are! Stella4D does a good job of identifying cells/faces/edges/verts of the same type, but this is based on various heuristics and can be wrong. So repeating a 3D facet is not straight forward. Establishing all the symmetries of a 4D polytope is not straight forward either. So for now I don't know a way to implement 4D faceting. And it would be too tedious to create each individual facet one by one.

Rob.