Ability to EXPORT an ANIMATION of 3d and 4d rotations

Suggest new features for Stella.
Rafao

Ability to EXPORT an ANIMATION of 3d and 4d rotations

Post by Rafao » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:58 am

I have used stella4d for many years now. I was wondering if ability to export an animation of 3d and 4d rotations, so I wouldn’t have to use a capture program to capture it from the screen. :shock:

I think it would be great if new stella4d would have ability to export animations of rotations to files like: avi, mpeg, mov, and to 3d applications like 3d studio max or any other rendering programs so the extra lighting can be added and modified.

Currently when I import the 4d solid to a 3d software, I am not able to rotate it in 4d. That ability would be great, or at least exported animated rotations to a time line as 3d-snap-shot per 1 frame.

I think that would add a lot to representations of these beautiful 4d solids animated and modified in other 3d rendering software.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:50 pm

I may add ability to export animations in next major release, for things like 3D rotation and dual morphing. Might be limited to AVIs at first, although animated gifs would also be nice. Not sure about exporting each frame as a 3D model, but also possible.

I'm hesitant to export 4D rotations and 4D slices, since Stella4D is currently the only place you can see many of these. If one user creates a bunch of YouTube videos, then a bunch of other people may feel they don't need to buy the product, especially if the user makes more as requested by others. I'd be doing a lot of work to create a feature that may reduce sales! On the other hand, such videos might act as good advertising for Stella4D, so I'm undecided.

Obviously other 3D software won't let you rotate stuff in 4D, so there's not much I can do about that.

Rob.

Rafao

Post by Rafao » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:27 am

"Not sure about exporting each frame as a 3D model, but also possible."

Hi Rob, this possibility would be great, because the 4D rotation would be exported to a 3d application (3d morphs by 4D rotations captured in frames).

deloresi

Post by deloresi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:24 am

How do I disassociate photoshop with an animation? I created a psd file in photoshop. Later I made an animated gif using it's layers. I would like to edit the layers in the psd without regard to the animation. Later I plan to create a new animation out of it. But in the mean time, I cannot alter the layers in the original psd. I've tried opening it with Fireworks as well, and it's no good there either. How does on edit a psd then post animation?

Alex Doskey

Model Rotation, Camera Angles, Video Export

Post by Alex Doskey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Rob,
I have seen several posts regarding animation in Stella, and exporting videos. What I would like to see is the ability to look from one camera angle while the model rotates around a specified axis. It would be great for interactive mode, and for exports.

For example, looking down the 4-fold axis of a cuboctahedron while it was rotating around its 3-fold axis. If you could specify a rotation axis, launch the model rotation at the speed you want and lock in the rotation, then you could pick a specified camera angle, or even tumble the camera view.

At this time, I do not know how you are doing tumbling - whether the model is actually rotating, or just the camera viewpoint, but if you could separate the two that would be quite nice to look at.

For animation exports, if you could specify the axis of rotation (some obvious choices would be axes of symmetry, or perpendicular to faces), specify the camera viewpoint, start position and end position would presumably be the same point (rotate about 360 degrees or less if rotating about symmetry axis), and number of frames to get from start to finish. Then the usual stuff about image size and resolution.

I sure hope this is something you are working on, and I would be glad to try out any beta versions you need an opinion on. :)

Alex Doskey

Another Rotation Request

Post by Alex Doskey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:28 pm

And for users that want just the right camera angle, it would be nice to be able to rotate a model about a specified axis, by a certain angle. Also useful if you want to make your own stop-motion videos.

But I frequently want to rotate around a given symmetry axis or the axis through a face center, edge center or vertex, by a specific amount before exporting an image, and I have to do it the best I can by visual inspection.

gladysila

Post by gladysila » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:40 am

How can you make a character animation in blender ? Like, i got that MakeHuman program, im still trying to get to learn how to export the human models in blender, HOwever what i am more concerned about is how can i make a character animation. Like, i try using bones, but still something is not good there, i make a bone person, i make it parent with the person i modeled then, i like try to make those bones move. Its like too hard that way. Im sure there is another way to solve it. SO like, how can i make a character animation in blender?
Last edited by gladysila on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Gladysila, this is the wrong place to ask about Blender. This forum is for the software called Great Stella and Stella4D. I'm sure Blender must have its own forum somewhere.

Rob.

indigotwilight

Post by indigotwilight » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:51 am

After playing around with the 4D models in Stella last night, I too would love to be able to export animations - especially of the 4D rotations, etc.

I experimented a little using camstudio, and got something reasonable but it was a bit of trial and error to get the right part of the screen into the frame. In the end I just made a quick movie of the whole window displaying the rotating 4d object.
Exporting to avi would be great, however swf will result in smaller file sizes. An avi to swf converter will do it for you externally though, so an avi export in Stella should be sufficient.

I think this feature would attract a lot more attention towards Stella4D, so having people upload animations onto sites like You-tube will probably increase sales in the software. I'm sure the vast majority of users would link to software3d, saying the animation was made using Stella4D.

Another feature is to export an animation in obj 'frames' (that is, each frame of the animation movie is exported as an obj file). The files could then be loaded up into the 3d application of choice, such as Carrara or Blender, so individuals could texture the models as they see fit, and place in scenes to generate some real interesting animations.
Imagine a crystalline, rotating 4D object gliding through a virtual forest...