Eliminate lighting effects

Suggest new features for Stella.
Peter Kane

Eliminate lighting effects

Post by Peter Kane » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:19 am

Would it be possible to turn off the lighting effects, so that colours are not changed as the polyhedron rotates ? Being red-green colourblind, I see face colours apparently change (for example, from green to yellow) as I rotate the model. I do this so that I can determine the arrangement of colours around each vertex, but as the colours appear to change, I can easily lose track of where I am.

Alternatively, perhaps it might be possible to display numeric labels at each vertex ? Mind, you it would probably be easier for you (and better for me) just to print a report showing vertex colours.

Pete K

guy

Post by guy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm guessing that with no light source, things would get pretty black.

I'm also guessing that any polychromatic light source will have consequences for one form of colour-blindness or another.

How about an option for a monochromatic light source to match the raw pixels - choice of red, green or blue.

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:32 pm

What I'm looking for is an option to maintain the same RGB values for all pixels as they move position. I don't think that this necessarily implies a monochromatic light source, but I'm no expert in this area. personally, I don't need to be able to look at a patch of colour and identify it correctly; I just don't want it to change due to shading.

Pete K

guy

Post by guy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Stella uses OpenGL (the Open Graphics Library) for rendering. AFAIK this is just like the real world in that it needs a light source or everything looks black. The 3D rotation, perspective and stuff is also handled by OpenGL, so decoupling the colour from the rest of the software might be a problem. At least, that's what I would expect.

The good thing about monochrome light is that the shade of colour would be constant, it would just get darker or lighter when lit from a different angle.