Ideas For New Boards

Suggested new features for MineSweeper3D.
Jabe

Ideas For New Boards

Post by Jabe » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:51 am

In this thread, lets list out some polyhedra that would make great boards for the future. Here are some of my picks:

Sidtid = small ditrigonary icosidodecahedron
Socco = small cubicuboctahedron
Sroh = small rhombihexahedron
Hexagon Prism
Pentagon Antiprism
Net of hexagon duoprism
Quith = quasitruncated hexahedron
Central cross section of iquipadah
May the Fourth (dimension) be with you.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:01 am

Ah, excellent idea for a thread. You asked me about this once before and I don't think I ever got back to you :oops:

Not sure Quith would work very well. How are you thinking of breaking up the octagram arms?

The Net of hexagon duoprism is an interesting choice. For anyone reading with Stella4D, it's name is hiddip (so use Ctrl+N, hiddip, Enter), then look at its net.

I have my own ideas for new boards, but I prefer not to announce them before releasing them :wink:

A big prism/antiprism, eg dodecagonal, might be interesting though.

Rob.

Jabe

Post by Jabe » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:44 pm

We could break up quith's octagram arms in half, making them look like two tetragons - like so:

|\ / |
|_|_|

Jabe

Post by Jabe » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:52 am

Come to think of it, that polyhedron seen in the phpbb logo would also make a cool board

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:50 pm

Jabe wrote:Come to think of it, that polyhedron seen in the phpbb logo would also make a cool board
The little hut/house thing? Hmm, might disappear if I ever get around to figuring out how to customise the forum :lol:

Rob.

Alex Doskey

My Vote

Post by Alex Doskey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:53 pm

I would like to see a nice open torus (perhaps a genus 1), where it is easier to see what you are doing. Like taking an Icosidodecahedron (ID), and excavating two triangular hebesphenorotundas (J92) from opposite ends.

Alex Doskey

Or Another Torus

Post by Alex Doskey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:08 pm

Or perhaps the L2-L2 section of the "T5 / 12Q5S5(D5)" - which is a TID excavated with 12 J5's and PAPs drilling into a central DOE. The cross-section contains all regular polygons.

Polyhedra.Doskey.com/stel/T5-12Q5_S5_(D5)=section=L2-L2.stel

robertw
Site Admin

Re: Or Another Torus

Post by robertw » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:07 am

Alex Doskey wrote:I would like to see a nice open torus (perhaps a genus 1), where it is easier to see what you are doing. Like taking an Icosidodecahedron (ID), and excavating two triangular hebesphenorotundas (J92) from opposite ends.
That's quite a nice model. Probably still a bit hard to see how some of the tiles inside the hole connect to each other though. I was actually thinking of adding just a plain old torus. Rectangular tiles to approximate it.
Alex Doskey wrote:Or perhaps the L2-L2 section of the "T5 / 12Q5S5(D5)" - which is a TID excavated with 12 J5's and PAPs drilling into a central DOE. The cross-section contains all regular polygons.

It's already in the Stella library you know :-) It's just two after "T5 / 12Q5S5(D5)" in the list. I just called it "Torus Slice".

Yeah, that might make an interesting board, but again it might be a bit tricky to see how tiles connect from one side to the other in the hole.

Rob.

Jabe

Iquipadah section

Post by Jabe » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:11 am

I would like to see the .5 section of iquipadah as seen in the pic.

the octagon with square hole could first be subdivided into four squares and four triangles.

robertw
Site Admin

Re: Iquipadah section

Post by robertw » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:06 am

Jabe wrote:I would like to see the .5 section of iquipadah as seen in the pic.
Hmm, pretty weird-looking board, and a meaningless shape to most people.

Rob.

Alex Doskey

Re: Or Another Torus

Post by Alex Doskey » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:17 pm

robertw wrote:
Alex Doskey wrote:I would like to see a nice open torus (perhaps a genus 1), where it is easier to see what you are doing. Like taking an Icosidodecahedron (ID), and excavating two triangular hebesphenorotundas (J92) from opposite ends.
That's quite a nice model. Probably still a bit hard to see how some of the tiles inside the hole connect to each other though. I was actually thinking of adding just a plain old torus. Rectangular tiles to approximate it.
I think that is a problem with all of the toroids in Minesweeper, that you have to spin it around so much to see all the tiles you are dealing with. With a Genus 1 model, the problem is much less, and it is very nice to look at while playing.
robertw wrote:
Alex Doskey wrote:Or perhaps the L2-L2 section of the "T5 / 12Q5S5(D5)" - which is a TID excavated with 12 J5's and PAPs drilling into a central DOE. The cross-section contains all regular polygons.

It's already in the Stella library you know :-) It's just two after "T5 / 12Q5S5(D5)" in the list. I just called it "Torus Slice".

Yeah, that might make an interesting board, but again it might be a bit tricky to see how tiles connect from one side to the other in the hole.

Rob.
I think the two of these together are very nice because they are so similar in some regards (the slice has 10/6 as many pentagons, squares and triangles as the tunnel). And yet they are different in that one is a thin flat slice and the other is a long thin tunnel.

Alex Doskey

Chiral Tetrahedral Non Convex

Post by Alex Doskey » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:09 am

I have another one I would like if you are interested in some symmetric non-convex ones. It is a chiral tetrahedral symmetry one. It is a SRID with four nonconvex figures (similar to J92s) excavated.

http://www.JovoToys.com/figs/E5-4H3.png