thin glass?

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
Adamo

thin glass?

Post by Adamo » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:51 am

hello!

I came to your site (and, therefore, to the forums) by accident, but I`m amazed of your models and the Software..! They look fantastic, especially those complicated ones! I guess it requires a lot of work to make a proper-made good looking model, so I`m double amazed..

I had an idea of making models by using thin glass. Anyway, it`s just my proposition. Do you think it would be possible? There are special tools for thin glass avaliable, but I`m not sure if it would be possible to construct a model with complicated structure using that material..?

The goal is to make a model, wchich has transparent faces, so you could easily see what`s inside. A slightly coloured (but still transparent!) thin glass would be the best material to do that, IMHO.
When (if) the model was ready, what you should see is the transparent, colorfull glass-made model. Now my idea is to put the model on the rounding table and illuminate it from three (or even more) different sources by strong colourfull light from three different angles; say white, red and green flows of light. Next step is to take a camera and make a "movie" of how light sources (each with different colour) illuminates model`s interior. Of course, the model should be put on rounding table to observe the flows changes while illuminating.

I think that only slightly coloured (or colourless..) glass gives you a possibility to make a fully- transparent model. Various colours of glass used to build a model plus colour light sources arranged from different angles while the model is rotating should give an interesting effects. What do you think of it?

(Sorry for my english).

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:10 pm

I like models made of transparent material where I can see the inside and the outside at the same time. Perhaps you find some inspiration at the following websites:

Henry Chasey made some partially transparent acrylic polyhedra:

http://www.georgehart.com/chasey.html

and MarcelTeun made one with transparent heptagons:

http://www.tum.dds.nl/polyh/heptagons/index.html

On Hans Schepker's site you find several polyhedral lamps, made of glass:

http://hansschepker.com/lamps/index-lamps.htm

Ulrich

robertw
Site Admin

Re: thin glass?

Post by robertw » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:10 am

Adamo wrote:I`m amazed of your models and the Software..! They look fantastic, especially those complicated ones! I guess it requires a lot of work to make a proper-made good looking model, so I`m double amazed..
Thanks!
I had an idea of making models by using thin glass.
I haven't tried and don't know much about glass, but I see Ulrich posted some links. There is also thin transparent paper/plastic, which I've been meaning to try. But then the tabs which would normally be hidden inside will be visible again, so I've had reservations. Ulrich's models don't seem to suffer from this though. Ulrich, do you do anything special to avoid tabs being visible through all those holes?

Rob.

Ulrich

Re: thin glass?

Post by Ulrich » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:00 am

robertw wrote:Ulrich, do you do anything special to avoid tabs being visible through all those holes?
No, I only try to place them all towards the inside of the model, which is possible in most cases. If you look at the close-up, you can see the tabs.

Ulrich

Nordehylop

Post by Nordehylop » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:27 pm

The other day I saw a set (actually a couple sets) of Platonic Solids made from what looked like ordinary window glass. There was one set of plain solids, and a few other models with strings, spheres, etc. inside them (to show off the medians of a tetrahedron, etc.) They looked like Henry Chasey's polyhedra in the fourth image from the top of the page. As far as I could tell, they had no tabs or even edges beveled to precise angles; just plain glass cemented together with some kind of invisible cement.
Also in that same display cabinet (they were in a display cabinet) there was an Icosahedron/Dodecahedron compound made out of thin dowels, stained different colors.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.

kbellis

Post by kbellis » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:00 am

Hi Adamo, I've had a similar idea of making these interesting models out of glass. Last winter I began experiments working with clear glass and am presently working on a 16" model in colored glass when I can find the time.

Hope to see your work!

Kelly

kbellis

Post by kbellis » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:00 am

3katie3

breathtaking!!!

Post by 3katie3 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:41 pm

do show more.

i'd like to see the models in stages of construction, in addition to the finished beauty.