Geometric Christmas Ornaments

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.

Would you be tempted to fork out $7 for this?

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

RexEveryhting

Geometric Christmas Ornaments

Post by RexEveryhting » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:13 pm

I just thought I'd let you all know I took a passion of mine and monetized it, and I've been actually making a few sales with it.

They're very simple icosahedral templates really, but the patterns I designed across their faces have some M.C. Escher-like appeal to them, and the potential to create other interesting patterns is there for the buyer of my product.

I don't mean to make this a blatant advertisement for my book; I just thought you all would like to know that you can take your interest in 3D models and do something with it to monetize it. It CAN work.

have a look at http://free-craft-downloads.com and tell me what you think. I can take the criticism :)

guy

Post by guy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi, those are beautiful. I wish you all success.

What about offering other shapes, such as the stella octangula, rhombic dodecahedron and maybe even small stellated dodecahedron?
I have a large-ish model of a small stellated dodecahedron made of shiny golden card that I bring out every Christmas: just print the net on the back.

RexEveryhting

Other shapes

Post by RexEveryhting » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Thank you Guy,

Yes, I had considered other shapes, although the main reason for my choice of icosahedra only was based on its attribute of having only equilateral triangles as its faces.

The surface design has always been my inspiration. By mapping a triangular grid across the surface, the possibilities of creating illusions of three dimensions are what matter to me.

The Celtic knot, M.C. Escher, and Islamic tilework design possibilies are what drive this particular effort.

I suppose there are other polyhedra that have only triangles (equilateral or otherwise) as their faces?

Thanks again,
Mitch
P.S. Watch for next year's products.

guy

Post by guy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:36 pm

Yes, there are many such polyhedra, known as deltahedra. See for example the Wikipedia
Deltahedron article.

RexEveryhting

Ya live and ya learn

Post by RexEveryhting » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Wow! Thanks! I guess I just sorta stayed focused on one thing and never got out of the box.

Thanks for pointing that out,
Mitch